|North Pine Street|
|Auxiliary route of I-85|
|Maintained by SCDOT|
|Length||2.25 mi (3.62 km)|
|South end||US 176 / US 221 / SC 9 in Spartanburg|
|North end||I-85 BL / US 176 near Spartanburg|
Interstate 585 (I-585) is a 2.25-mile-long (3.62 km) auxiliary Interstate Highway of I-85 in the US state of South Carolina. It is an orphan auxiliary route to I-85 since 1995 when the Interstate was relocated further north bypassing Spartanburg. In a concurrency with US Highway 176 (US 176) throughout, it spurs south from I-85 Business (I-85 Bus) for a couple of miles before entering the downtown area.
I-585 is cosigned the entire length with US 176 and it uses US 176's exit number system instead of its own. The route is also signed as North Pine Street its entire length. The southern terminus begins at exit 25, where the road continues as US 176/South Carolina Highway 9 (SC 9). I-585 remains concurrent with US 176 starting at exit 25 as it heads northwest. It then comes across a partial interchange with California Avenue at exit 24. Before exit 23, there are two at-grade auxiliary lanes, one on each side which connects Milliken Road on the north side and Graham Road on the south side to the highway. At exit 23, the highway comes across I-85 Bus, forming a parclo interchange, ending just north of it. US 176 continues west to I-85.
From the highway's initial designation until 1995, I-85 followed what is now designated I-85 Bus. In that year, I-85 moved to the north, orphaning I-585 from a direct connection to its parent route, a situation that remained until upgrades to US 176 over the next decade provided a freeway connection between I-85 and I-85 Bus, except for a stoplight at Upper Valley Falls Rd/Fairforest Rd. Additionally, US 176 is connected to I-85 with a stoplight-controlled diamond interchange instead of a freeway-to-freeway interchange.
Exit numbers, where present, are based on US 176 mileage. The entire route is in Spartanburg County.
US 176 east / SC 9 south (Pine Street)
|Continuation as US 176/SC 9|
SC 9 north (Boiling Springs Road) / Whitney Road south / North Church Street south (US 176 Conn. east) to US 221 – Boiling Springs
|Southern end of SC 9 concurrency; official southern terminus of I-585; western terminus of US 176 Conn.; northern terminus of Whitney Road and North Church Street; signed exit 25B (US 221) and 25A (SC 9 northbound) on I-585 northbound; no northbound entrance from exit 25A|
|||0.900||1.448||24||California Avenue||Northbound exit and southbound entrance|
|Southern Shops–Valley Falls line||2.067–|
|23||I-85 BL – Charlotte, Greenville||Signed as exits 23A (south) and 23B (north); official northern terminus of I-585|
US 176 west to I-85 – Charlotte, Greenville, Inman
|Continuation as US 176 west|
|1.000 mi = 1.609 km; 1.000 km = 0.621 mi|
Interstate 585 Business
This section relies largely or entirely upon a single source. (January 2021)
|Length||1.60 mi (2.57 km)|
Interstate 585 Business (I-585 Bus) was a boulevard-grade business route of I-585 along Pine Street, between Whitney Road (US 221) and St. John Street (US 29). It traveled concurrently with US 176 and SC 9. Sometime between 2000 and 2012, the route was removed, with no current state or federal maps listing it nor any physical signage.
- Starks, Edward (January 27, 2022). "Table 2: Auxiliary Routes of the Dwight D. Eisenhower National System of Interstate and Defense Highways". FHWA Route Log and Finder List. Federal Highway Administration. Retrieved August 30, 2022.
- "Statewide Highways (shapefile)" (zip). South Carolina Department of Transportation. September 29, 2017. Retrieved December 8, 2017.
- Google (May 20, 2013). "Overview map of I-585" (Map). Google Maps. Google. Retrieved May 20, 2013.
- "Greenville Spartanburg Metro 2018" (PDF). SCDOT. April 2021. Retrieved May 30, 2021.
- "Highway Logmile Report". South Carolina Department of Transportation. Retrieved January 9, 2021.
- Google (May 19, 2013). "Overview map of I-585 Bus. (Spartanburg, South Carolina)" (Map). Google Maps. Google. Retrieved May 19, 2013.
- Media related to Interstate 585 at Wikimedia Commons
- I-585 at Virginia Highways' South Carolina Highways Annex
- I-585 Bus at Virginia Highways' South Carolina Highways Annex
- I-585 at SouthEastRoads.com
- I-585 at Interstate-Guide.com
- Interstate 585 (3 Digit Interstates)